Sunday

Cali...........

We were in CA for almost 2 weeks. It was the longest 2 weeks of my life. If you are not familiar with how an out of state adoption works, it's a little like this...........

In our situation, the state of CA had to review all of our paperwork from our homestudy, everything our lawyer had done, J's parental rights needed to be terminated after 72 hrs, and we had to meet with a social worker. Once the state cleared us, we then had to wait for the state of PA to clear us based on the same paperwork and info.

This is called ICPC - basically means you cannot transport a child over state lines until both states agree.

This process could take 2 days, it could take 2 months. It all depends on how well both states work together and what kind of people you have working in the state offices. This is why you really need to hire an attorney who knows what they are doing and who is familiar with the law.

B and I had an amazing hotel suite where we could bond with Alec. Everyone was so kind to us. We were able to meet with T to go to dinner, and it was so nice to have a face to go with a name - especially since we had been speaking for almost 2 years without meeting!

We got to spend ALOT of time with J and her family. She even made us Thanksgiving dinner since we were away from our family for the holiday! The kids were wonderful, and Alec looked EXACTLY LIKE THEM!! We feel so lucky to have had that time with them, and have a ton of pictures to show him when he is older. (I obviously will not share them here, because I want to respect their privacy.)

When we left J and her family for the last time, B looked at me and said "I am going to miss them so much. You would think they would be so sad to have Alec leave, but I think we are more sad to leave them." And it was totally the truth.

When I last called T to thank her, I asked her if we could adopt J too! I absolutely love her with all of my heart.....

No comments: